2020 Little Sprouts Playdates
at Snipes Farm
Little Sprout's classes are in session early JUNE to early SEPTEMBER. Once each week on Thursday, this hands-on, one-hour program includes: a story or craft, games in the woods, orchard walks, creek wildlife and gardens grown on a farm. For children ages 3-6 years. $9 per child. There are plenty of visits with bunnies, goats and chickens, as well as, critters that we find on our adventures. At the end of class, you and your child are invited to stay and enjoy time on our Barnyard Playground. Siblings are always welcome to join!!
This one-hour long program will include hands-on activities, a farm adventure, a story and a game for your little one to enjoy. Siblings are welcome! You and your child are invited to bring your own snack and enjoy time on our Barnyard playground after the program.
Pre-registration requested - please click here TO SIGN UP!
1. Sensational Seeds + Gardens Galore! - June 11: Join our kick-off to the Little Sprouts season to learn about green and growing things and the life inside a seed! We will visit places where plants grow-tiny ones at our toes and big ones towering above us; seedlings in the greenhouse, and crops out in a farm field. We will go on a color scavenger hunt to the Children’s Garden and enjoy something yummy to taste when we get there.
2. Goodness Gracious, Goats (and a few blue berries, too)- June 18: Join us for a program all about goats and how they live! We’ll learn about how they move, their extra special mountain-ready feet, what they eat and the amazing way that they digest their food. We will of course spend time playing with our goats, Belle and Luna! Other hooved friends, feathered and hopping friends will be nearby to say hello to as well.
3. Tremendous Trees - June 25: One special thing about Snipes Farm is the arboretum which has been growing for a long, long time. We can meet some of these old leafy friends and find their seeds and saplings as well on our walk. When a tree is blown down in a storm, we can discover what happens as it goes back to the Earth and who might live there! A leaf collection and leaf rubbings can help us turn discovery into art!
4. Bunny Bun-ananza (and a few blueberries, too) - July 2: Come to Snipes Farm to learn all about our amazing rabbit friends! Why do rabbits have such big years? How do they see differently than us? What do they do when they are really, really happy? We will explore these and other fascinating questions about the life and times in the Rabitat with our lovely bunnies.
5. Cheery, Cheeping Chickens (and a few blueberries too)! - July 9: Beautiful chickens lay beautiful eggs here at the farm. We will meet a special hen-will she be black and white stripedy brown, white, or golden? We will see the village of 100 that live at Cluckingham Palace and learn about their care. We will say thanks to the chickens for the wonderful food they give us and the healthy soil they help to make. We may just do the Chicken Dance!
6. Bountiful Berries! - July 16: Berries abound when seasons collide with the last of the blueberries and the first of the blackberries! Let’s do the dance of the honey bee as we say thanks for their special work turning flowers into fruit! Along the way we will take a nice farm walk across the bridge, along the woods out to the orchard.
7. Wonderful Worms! - July 23: Let’s explore the wriggling world of worms beneath our feet and learn about all of their wonderful ways! Usually out of sight, we will search until we will find them and marvel at how they move without any bones! They quietly help us to make compost without no rest-we won’t believe all the work they can get done- soil for breakfast lunch and dinner with no teeth!
8. Vivacious Vegetables! - July 30: Little Sprouts will become Little Farmers for this day. From the Children’s Garden to the big farm fields there will be plenty to do. We will do a little planting, a little weeding, a little watering and plenty of sampling from a fresh garden harvest!
9. Creatures of the Creek! - August 6: Join us as we visit the creek to see how it moves and who lives there! We’ll look for salamanders, make rock dams, and enjoy a little creek play! Water shoes and play clothes are recommended - no flip flops, please, so they stay on our feet.
10. Avian Adventures - August 13: For this Little Sprouts Playdate we will meet Quail, a turkey, big chickens and little chickens and see how they are different. We will look at feathers and nests, hear bird songs and wonder what it feels like to have wings and fly and instead of walking with feet on the ground.
11. Billions of Bugs - August 20: We won’t see that many, but there are cool insects everywhere to try to find. Join us on August 20 to explore the woods and fields around Snipes Farm in search of bugs! We’ll learn about their parts and sing a song! A hole in a leaf can show us where a bug has been. What other trails have they left behind. Let’s find out.
12. Fantastical Forests - August 27: Join us for our last playdate of the summer as we explore the forest staying cool in the shade! We'll find life under logs, peer into tree crooks and wonder who might be way up high in its branches. We’ll search for green plants and seeds and such. We’ll also take time to make a home for a fairy.
Please reserve space HERE!
We look forward to fun times on the farm with you and your Little Sprouts!
For more information, please contact
Melanie Douty-Snipes @ 215-295-1139 EXT.105